Answer the following questions :
1. Father said to his son, “Don’t you think that honesty is the best policy?” (Indirect)
2. Sabina said to me, ‘I have taken your pen.’ (Indirect)
3. Salam said, ‘I am drawing a picture.’ (Indirect)
4. She said, ‘I have done my duty.’ (Indirect)
5. Sabina said to Arif, ‘I like to read novels.’ (Indirect)
6. If you neglected your studies —. (Complete using conditional)
7. — I would give you the pen. (Complete using conditional)
8. If I do that —. (Complete using conditional)
9. — if there is no fog. (Complete using conditional)
10. If I advice him —. (Complete using conditional)
11. Rewrite the following passage in the present tense.
We had a cow. We called it Ritu. She was white in colour. Ritu gave us milk. My mother milked her. We drank milk every day. Ritu gave birth to a calf. Everybody of our family liked Ritu.
12. Who does not like flowers? (Assertive)
13. Can you write a paragraph on your class?
14. It has served our purpose. (Passive)
15. What are you doing? (Passive)
16. The work has been finished.
17. Is it being done by you? (Active)
18. She missed the train. (Negative)
19. She is stronger than any other girl in the class. (superlative)
20. Smoking is injurious to health. (Interrogative)
21. The wood is good for firewood, paper and houses. (Negative)
(i) The wood is not bad for firewood, paper and houses.
(ii) The wood is not good for firewood, paper and houses.
(iii) The wood is not good but for firewood, paper and houses.
(iv) The wood is so good for firewood, paper and houses.
1. Father asked his son if he did not think that honesty is the best policy.
2. Sabina told me that she had taken my pen.
3. Salam said that he was drawing a picture.
4. She said that she had done her duty.
5. Sabina told Arif that she liked/likes to read novels.
6. — you could /would fail in the examination.
7. If you want to write a letter to your friend—
8. —you will get the prize
9. The train will not make delay —
10. — he can work nicely.
11. We have a cow. We call it Ritu. She is white in colour. Ritu gives us milk. My mother milks her. We drink milk everyday. Ritu gives birth to a calf. Everybody of our family likes Ritu.
12. Everybody loves flowers.
13. Can a paragraph be written by you on your class?
14. Our purpose has been served.
15. What is being done by you?
16. I/we/they have finished the work.
17. Are you doing it?
18. She could not catch the train.
19. She is the strongest girl in the class.
20. Isn’t smoking injurious to health?
21. (i) The wood is not bad for firewood, paper and houses.
– মুহম্মদ মাছুম বিল্লাহ, সাবেক অধ্যাপক; সিলেট, মির্জাপুর ও কুমিল্লা ক্যাডেট কলেজ এবং রাজউক উত্তরা মডেল কলেজ
সূত্র : কালের কণ্ঠ, পড়ালেখা (২৩.১২.২০১৩)