ঢাকা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের (ঢাবি) ২০০৬-০৭ ও ২০০৫-০৬ শিক্ষাবর্ষে ‘বি’, ‘সি’ ও ‘ডি’ ইউনিটে ভর্তি পরীক্ষায় ইংরেজি বিষয়ের প্রশ্ন :
‘সি’ ইউনিট :
1. Who are at great risk from food poisoning?
A. Young students staying at hostels
B. Officers staying at office for more than 12 hours
C. Older people with weaker immune system
D. Health Scientists
E. Healthy women at home
2. According to the passage, which one is the cause of food poisoning?
A. Keeping cold food always cold
B. Keeping hot food always hot
C. Cooking food at safe temperature
D. Not sering food properly
E. Inappropriately storing cooked food
3. What would you tell your mother to do EXCEPT?
A. Clean your hands before cooking
B. Do not go to any outside party for dinner
C. Do not keep raw foods and ready-to-eat foods in the same basket
D. Cook food at safe temperature
E. Keep your utensils and food preparation place always clean.
4. What is the critical massage of the passage?
A. Protect your health
B. Enrich your knowledge about bacteria
C. Do not eat at any party
D. Learn how to destroy bacteria
E. Keep hot food hot, cold food cold and keep everything clean.
5. What can be the appropriate title of the Passage?
A. be careful about bacteria
B. Prevent food poisoning at home
C. Eat poison-free food
D. Avoid eating junk food
E. Learn to eat less to avoid food poisoning
For questions 6 thought 9 read the phrase’s or word (s) and find the answers that are closest in meanings.
6. ‘Home maker’
A. A person who builds home
B. A person who designs home
C. A male who is a servant in a home
D. A lady who is a servant in a home
E. A housewife
7. ‘Pivotal question’
A. The relevant question
B. The question which was asked before
C. A question for future
D. The most important question
E. An unimportant question
8. ‘It’s lighter on your purse’
A. It is not heavy
B. It will cost you too much
C. It is cheap
D. There is a cigarette lighter in your purse
E. Your purse is empty
9. ‘Food obsessed person’
A. A person who is much interested in food
B. A person who dislikes food
C. A person who is overweight due to overeating
D. A fat person who likes food
E. A fat person who dislikes food
Find the best alternatives to fill in the blanks (Questions 10 through 12)
10. Cosmetic and reconstructive surgery has produced dramatic benefits for many people, enabling––––– accident victims to recover a normal a appearance.
11. She waved him aside with an airy––––.
12. Do you have ––––– to do this afternoon? If not. I’d like to take you to a movie.
A. many work
B. much work
C. many works
D. much works
E. lot of works
Find the appropriate meanings of the following phrases (For questions 13 through 16.)
13. Smell a rat
A. had smell
B. presence of a thief
C. make difficult
D. develop an imaginary character
E. suspect something
14. Turn a deaf ear
A. be attentive
C. speak loudly
D. be caring
E. be vocal
15. In the good book of
A. attractive offer
B. correct account
C. sound financial condition
D. in favour with
16. End is smoke
A. come to nothing
B. each fire
E. stop smoking
Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate word(s) (Questions 17 through 21)
17. As more and more local industries have emerged to manufacture a variety of products to meet the local demand, the smugglers on this side of the border have found legal–––– in the home market.
18. As a nation, we have proved in most–––– times, that we have the capacity to solve our problems.
19. If this was done, then the country would not only overcome the power shortage but also have a surplus to export to a neighboring country at a –––– price.
20. It is understood that the jewellery shops are the special ––––– of the thieves.
21. With an estimated –– of less then 1.0% cases. Bangladesh is still classified as a low-level HIV country.
22. What is the synonym of ‘impediment’?
23. What is the antonym of ‘segregation’?
Find the correct sentences (Questions 24 and 25).
24. A. I congratulate him on his bright result.
B. I congratulate him to his bright result.
C. I congratulate him of his bright result.
D. I congratulate him in his bright result.
E. I congratulate him for his bright result.
25. A. He nudge his companion.
B. He nudged his companion.
C. He is to nudge his companion.
D. He nudge by his companion.
E. Both B and C above.
‘বি’ ইউনিট :
1. According to the passage the lives of the people were
A. greatly influenced by nature.
B. little influenced by nature.
C. somewhat influenced by nature.
D. were not influenced by nature.
2. In the passage the word “dwarfed” means
A. were smaller than.
B. made look smaller.
C. are comparable to.
D. are not as big as.
3. “Steadily the ever expanding city replaced the countryside as the home of most of the world’s people.” means
A. gradually the cities destroyed the villages.
B. gradually the cities took up all the space occupied by village.
C. gradually more people started living in cities than in village.
D. people loved city life.
4. The word ‘drought’ is closest in meaning to
B. occasional rain
C. rainless period.
5. Which word does not describe someone’s mood?
6. Which is the best translation of the sentence– ‡m Zvi fvB‡qi g‡Zv j¤^v bq|
A. He is not as tall like his brother
B. He is not tall enough
C. He is not taller than his brother
D. He is not as tall as his brother
7. Choose the antonym for the word ‘hostile.”
8. Had he –––– anything, he would have told me.
9. I took –––– walking honing –––– lose some weight.
A. to, at
B. for, to
C. in, to
D. to, to
10. Too many cooks –––– the broth.
11. The closest meaning of the word “progressive” in the sentence “Prof. Chowdhury is a progressive man.” is
B. has progressed
D. open to changes
12. He hates––– the phone and very often lets it –––
A. attending, off
B. answering, ring
C. ringing, on
D. holding, rug
13. “sprightly dance” in Wordsworth’s poem on the detours refers to
A. lively dance
B. new dance
C. jocular dance
D. shaky dance
14. Which characteristic quality did M.K.Rowings find in Jerry?
15. I found it difficult to convince the ticket inspector that I ––––– my ticket.
A. had lost
B. will lose
C. have been lost
D. have lost
16. Every since I ––––– to move to Dhaka, I –––– whether the decision I took was the right one.
A. decided, had been worrying
B. have decided, shall worry
C. decided, worried
D. decided, have been worrying.
17. By this time next month, the government –––– resigned.
A. would have
B. will have
18. They wouldn’t let my sister in the theatre because she was –––– age.
19. I can’t quite ––– out what is written on the board.
20. Which figure of speech do you find in the expression “I wondered lonely as a could”?
21. The grapes ––––– sour.
B. are tasting
22. He learned to read and write quite –––– in his life.
23. A basket of apples –––– been sold.
24. Choose the correct spelling.
25. What does the sentence, “It is too cold to go swimming.” mean?
A. One should go to swim when it is too cold.
B. The weather is not cold enough for swimming
C. One should not go swimming in cold weather
D. The weather is not suitable for swimming.
‘ডি’ ইউনিট :
1. An appropriate title for the passage would be:
A. Black Obsession
B. Language of Mourning
C. After Prince Albert
D. Victorian Rites
2. A synonym for obsessed would be:
3. A close substitute word for irreproachable would be:
D. none of the above
4. The noun form of persuaded:
C. perseverance D. persistence
5. Rites signify:
6. I am going away –– the end of the month:
7. Choose the correct meaning of the underlined expression: Psychiatrists encourage their patients not to get upset about trivial matters.
8. I’m so tired! –– I finish this test, I’m having a nap.
A. Now that
B. Every time
9. You should try to cut –– on coffee. You drink far too much of it.
10. The clerk checked us––– and gave us our keys.
Questions 11–15 : Try to choose the appropriate option to fill in the gaps in the following sentences:
The Indian subcontinent (11) clearly marked by the long British (12), just as Britain’s history shows the result of its lengthy association (13) India, Whether all of (14) has been for better or worse is (15) impossible to say.
11. A. had been
B. have been
C. has been
D. has had been
12. A. interaction
13. A. for
14. A. those
15. A. around
16. The island is a colony: however, in most matters if is –– and receives no orders from the mother country.
17. Which of the following is the correct spelling?
18. The time is ripe for a revolt means that:
A. the revolution is about to begin
B. it is the right time for a revolt
C. the revolt is underway
D. it is too late for a revolt
19. The term ‘en route’ means
A. Through the route
B. Through the way
C. On the way
D. In the way
20. Which is the best translation of the sentence- ÔmKv‡j cvwLiv wKwPiwgwPi K‡i|Õ
A. Birds cry at dawn.
B. Birds shout at dawn.
C. Birds twitter at dawn.
D. Birds howl at dawn
21. The correct antonym of the word ‘amazing’ is
22. The correct active voice of ‘That house has not been lived in for years’ is
A. No one has been living in that house for years.
B. No one ever lived in that house for years.
C. Nobody has for years lived in that house.
D. Nobody had been living for years in that house
23. Mr Roberts is a noted chemist––.
A. as well as an effective teacher.
B. and too a very efficient teacher.
C. but he teaches very good in addition
D. however he teaches very good also
24. Choose the correct sentence:
A. The man that said that was a fool.
B. The man who said that was a fool.
C. The man, that said that, was a fool.
D. The man which said that was a fool.
25. ‘Blue Chips’ are
A. securities issued by the government
B. industrial shares considered to be a safe investment
C. industrial shares considered to be a risky investment
D. flat plastic counters used as money tokens